The USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum–the perfect venue for signing my newest book, Nugget on the Flight Deck. July 4–the perfect day.
Stationed on the hangar deck, I signed dozens of books and spoke to oodles of the 11,000+ visitors that boarded the carrier. Some of the more memorable conversations:
- One Navy seaman told me he purchased Nugget last year for his nephew and they LOVED the book!
- A retired pilot named Bear said in addition to “nugget” they also called the new guy on board FNG. (Hint: NG=new guy; use your imagination to fill in the rest.)
- Dozens of docents stopped by my table to share their Midway stories when they served aboard the carrier. I took the opportunity to ask lots of questions!
- Other docents stopped by to tell me they’d purchased Nugget on the Flight Deck for their grandchildren.
- Teachers and picture book lovers from all over the country stopped by to get their “fix.”
- I even saw fellow SCBWI member Roseanne Greenfield Thong and we talked about writing for children.
- Plus, I snapped a few more photos for my school visits. Nothing informs a school talk like on-site research! (Ever see the size of a kitchen mixer on a carrier?)
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with me.