Authors who visit schools:
- Forge a personal connection between students and the creators of books
- Create a surge in library use
- Reinforce a connection between educational standards and specific content
- Motivate kids to read
- Motivate kids to express themselves with words—writing and revising their own works
- Motivate kids to persist in their dreams and not give up when challenged
- Contribute to improvements in reading scores
- Improve school-wide morale as students and staff work together reading the author’s books and performing classroom tasks
Inquire about the following school-based funding resources at your next staff meeting:
- Adopt-a-School Sponsors
- Title I
- Title VII
- School Improvement Plan (SIP)
- Grants (from local nonprofits or your local reading association)
Yes! And by helping you fund an author visit, the organization achieves greater visibility by forging partnerships with neighborhood schools resulting in greater community “buy in” to literacy issues.
- Service organizations: Rotary Clubs, Kiwanis Clubs, Lions Clubs, etc.
- Museums that have a special tie-in to the author’s books
- Major corporations: Target, Wal-Mart, McDonald’s, Burger King, Publix, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc.
- Friends of the Library organization of your public library
- Local independent businesses that support other aspects of your community (look for plaques in restaurants, libraries, schools, stadiums, law offices, and medical offices).
- Philanthropic groups: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s literacy programs, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, etc.
Yes! I have a 2-sided brochure that you can either print and share or share as a link. Click here: Appearance Brochure
Good question! The key to a successful event is preparation, and there is no such thing as starting too early. I want to establish a genuine connection with your students–my goal is to supplement your curriculum, not distract from it. I hope to leave your students inspired to create their own work and with a deeper understanding of my process from idea to publication. Download these handy tips: Author Visit Prep Tips
Absolutely! I’ve used most of the popular video chat platforms. Please read my tips for a successful virtual visit. You can download them here: Virtual Visit Prep Tips